Friday, January 30, 2004

The good and the bad

I'm in heaven "Today I'm in geek heaven in so many ways. I read Curtis Hovey's recent weblog entry. He writes:

I strongly feel that a GNOME metadata solution should be based on metadata standards: RDF, OWL, FOAF and use common grammars."

From the original posting: "I strongly feel that a GNOME metadata solution should be based on metadata standards: RDF, OWL, FOAF and use common grammars. I'm shopping for a new Medusa backend because I don't think Medusa should be in the DB business, and it needs an extensible schema."

"The bad

* BDB 4: will everything break when BDB 5 comes out
* Mysql: a bit of a nuisance to setup for single users
* query: applications and users need robust searching
* scalability: will this work at 100 megs, the size of my Medusa db"

No comments: