Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Finding things in a non-semantic web

Drowned out by keywords "So here's a case for the semantic web. It's stupidly difficult to search for news of my hometown.

I live in the beautiful city of York, UK. In most search oriented applications I cannot search for my city. Why?

Because "New York" always matches a search for "York", too. Google ameliorates this a little: you can search for "York UK" or "York -New". But most search facilities aren't as good, and quite a few of my local news sources would not consider "UK" a term they should include in their metadata. "

Here's one closer to home, ISWC'04 or "International Symposium on Wearable Computers" not to be confused by ISWC 2004 or "International Semantic Web Conference". We're in trouble when 4 letter acronyms collide.

No comments: