The similarities between the Australian and American political situation was recently highlighted by "Bush & Howard: parallel lives"
"As John Howard ponders the likely return of George Bush, he will no doubt be struck by the parallels between the President's probable re-election and his own emphatic victory last month."
* Both have control in the upper and lower houses to pass laws as long as they can maintain party lines.
* Running trade deficits - Australian Trade Deficit Widens as Imports Increase
* Banning abortion.
Sarah Maddison: Minister mistakes opinion for fact.
* Increasing surveillance powers. Ruddock relaunches terror laws.
* Tax cuts for the higher tax brackets.
Howard flags new tax cuts
* Reducing gay rights. THE COALITION PLANS TO REINTRODUCE LEGISLATION BANNING SAME-SEX COUPLES FROM OVERSEAS ADOPTION NOW IT HAS CONTROL OF THE SENATE.
* Environment. We won't Sign Kyoto Treaty, Says Australia