Sunday, April 23, 2006

Raving about Maven

So for every pro-Maven story I've seen I get, For F___ Sake, why does maven suck so much "On a more specific note of why I hate maven. The first one is the whole idea of maven repository. I agree that maven repo works if things are simple and the jars aren't changed that often. For all other real world cases where jars or versions change rapidly, maven often fails to update the repo. When that happens maven just craps itself. What's worse if one's network connection is buggy and unreliable. having a remote repo is worth crap when the network blows. Sure, one can setup a local repo, but what if the LAN is unreliable."

"Overriding build.properties is a bitch if one has lots and lots of properties. Say I have an EJB that is built nightly, but new branches are created every month. What if I need to test different branches on an on going basis? Well with ANT I can pass it a different build.xml file. With maven I haven't been able to find a way to do, I don't believe it can be done. It would be great if i could start maven and point it to say branch2build.properties instead of build.properites."

From what I can tell this is Maven 1, whereas Maven 2 is apparently a lot better.

No comments: