Thursday, October 21, 2004

Gibson vs Stephenson

Who would win? "In a fight between you and William Gibson, who would win?

You don't have to settle for mere idle speculation. Let me tell you how it came out on the three occasions when we did fight.

The first time was a year or two after SNOW CRASH came out. I was doing a reading/signing at White Dwarf Books in Vancouver. Gibson stopped by to say hello and extended his hand as if to shake. But I remembered something Bruce Sterling had told me...During the regeneration process, telescoping Carbonite stilettos had been incorporated into Gibson's arms...Gibson and I dueled among blazing stacks of books for a while. Slowly I gained the upper hand, for, on defense, his Praying Mantis style was no match for my Flying Cloud technique. But I lost him behind a cloud of smoke."

No comments: